What if we told you there is a constant war being waged within our bodies? By now, with a proliferation of degenerative diseases and exposure to treatment methods, you are likely to believe me. As a medical professional (read dermatologist), Dr Shetty finds that a lot more people now keep an open mind and assimilate analyses of health and skin conditions more easily.
Frequently Asked Questions
We have been blessed with a defense sytem in our bodies, yet the enemy manages to get past and damage lipids, proteins, cell walls, vessel walls and even the DNA nucleus of the cell. Unfortunately, this enemy keeps striking in our lives everyday ! Lurking in the form of excessive stress, excessive exercise, air pollution, cigarette smoke, pollution of food and water, ultraviolet rays, electronic gadgets, medications, cosmetics and radiation. Plus oxidative stress that keeps ticking every moment.
All of the above trigger free radicals constantly. If they are allowed to accumulate and are not neutralised rapidly, they can lead to inflammation in the body. Yet, call it the magic of Providence or whatever you will, our wall of defense is made up of antioxidants, whose main function is to neutralise free radicals. And they work synergistically to disarm them and reduce inflammation.
Our antioxidant/repair sytem must be stronger than the army of free radicals. Therefore it is super important to add certain nutritional supplements which will work alongside the antioxidants. We have done just that in introducing Dr Shetty’s RA DEFENSE, a supplement that will counter infalmmation and let your body be its healthiest self. We would like to take you through the healing and nourishing powers of the ingredients.
Indian cuisine is incomplete without turmeric. The scriptures of Ayurveda, and the yoga sutra talk about turmeric and its amazing benefits. Since time immemorial, it has been touted as one of the best natural healing herbs. Modern science has caught up with it only recently. Dr Rashmi Shetty though educated and trained in modern science is a firm believer in ancient medical sciences.
Turmeric’s chief active ingredient is curcumin, which gives it its numerous health benefits.
- Curcumin has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and fights inflammation on a molecular level by blocking NF-kB. (NF-kB is a molecule that travels into the nuclei of our cells and turns on the genes related to inflammation. NF-kB blocks the activity of certain enzymes that are essential regulators and modulators of the inflammatory response. Hence, we can say that NF-kB is the harbinger of many chronic diseases).
Inflammation is the body’s way of imposing a measured, temporary discomfort in the interest of long-term health. A way of telling the body to attend to certain wrongs within.
- Curcumin also helps boost the activity of our body’s own antioxidant enzymes.
- A daily dose of curcumin can keep skin bright, healthy and glowing.Since curcumin targets inflammation and oxidative stress, it can delay aging and alleviate age related chronic diseases.
- Curcumin also lowers the risk of various degenerative diseases like cancer, arthritis, alzheimers and those related to heart and brain.
Curcumin in RA DEFENSE fights inflammation at many levels, helps brighten skin and lower the rick of degenerative diseases.
Another ingredient in our dialy diet and widely used in Ayurveda medicine as a restorative and treatment. Piperine is a pungent compound, an alkaloid found in black pepper (Piper nigrum), giving it its pungency. Piperine’s most significant benefit is that it increases the bioavailability of nutrients in certain foods and supplements. We will bring you to that in a bit.
- Piperine is a great antioxidant and therefore anti inflammatory.
- It is known to effectively minimise fine lines, wrinkles and even dark spots.
- Piperine increases the bioavailability of some vitamins and minerals, like curcumin, beta-carotene, selenium, vitamins B6, A and C.
- It is known to inhibit the enzymes P-glycoprotein and CYP3A4 in humans. These enzymes are involved in the metabolism and transport of various metabolites and nutritional substances. (Metabolite is a substance essential to the metabolism of a particular organism or to a metabolic process. As a result, the substances reach, enter and remain within their target cells for longer time).
- This amazing compound has thermogenic properties, meaning it increases your body’s basal metabolic rate. That translates to healthy body weight. One big reason to give piperine its due importance.
- Piperine helps fight infections due to its antibacterial properties.
- It favourably stimulates the digestive enzymes and enhances digestion.
Piperine in RA DEFENSE reduces inflammation, is anti aging and is a support system to many vitamins and minerals in being better absorbed by the body.
If your grandmother ever gave you a potion of turmeric, pepper and ghee, she knew the science behind it. Coupling turmeric (curcumin) with pepper (piperine) has some amazing benefits that are integral to health.
Though curcumin is a very potent antioxidant, it is not well absorbed by the body. This results in not getting the best out of it. Studies have shown that adding piperine to curcumin can magnify its potency manifold and help it get better absorbed into the bloodstream. Together, they are very effective in fighting cancer causing inflammation as well as many others.
Every Indian home has loads of ginger in the fridge. Ginger is among the healthiest and most delicious spices on our planet. It is loaded with nutrients and bioactive compounds that have powerful benefits for your body and brain. But, sadly today almost all roots, fruits and vegetables are riddled with toxins due to extensive and indiscriminate use of pesticides and insecticides. Going organic is a good choice, but availability of organic stuff and the expense it incurs makes it a bit of a challenge. Supplements from a trusted source is the way forward at such times.
DEFENSE has ginger extract as one of its ingredients and here are its benefits :
- Ginger is loaded with compounds which have anitioxidant properties like gingerol, shogaol, paradol, zingerone, zerumbone, 1-dehydro-(10)-gingerdione, terpenoids, and flavonoids.
- Some of the above compounds have anti-tumor, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and pain-relieving properties.
- Ginger is also an effective antiviral and anti-fungal agent. It also protect the liver.
- Ginger, can regulate inflammatory genes by inhibiting NF-κB pathway.
- Like NSAIDs (aspirin and Advil), ginger blocks the activities of COXenzymes, as well as the production of inflammatory chemicals called leukotrienes and prostaglandins. (NSAID stands for non steroidal anti inflammatory drug)
- 6-shogoal in ginger protects the body from inflammation due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Ginger in RA DEFENSE is a potent antioxidant, fights inflammation, protects the liver and is anti aging.
Many of you may not be familiar with milk thistle. It is a flowering plant (Silybun marianum)from the daisy family. Its leaves, fruits and seeds have been used for centuries as a natural medicine. Silymarin, a group of compounds within it make it a very effective herbal remedy.
- Silymarin extract is known to have antioxidant, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Milk thistle helps strengthen immune response and fight infection.
- Additionally, milk thistle aids cancer treatment, strengthens bones, as well as prevent age related decline in brain function.
- With its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, milk thistle is a boon for acne treatment. It has also been known to improve overall skin health and impart radiance.
Milk thistle in RA DEFENSE is a herbal remedy against inflammation, strengthens immunity and alleviates acne.
There is an overload of the word beta-carotene today. Your nutritionist, labels on packaged foods, recipes and health websites, all talk about beta-carotene. Brightly coloured fruits and vegetables are recommended to get beta carotene in your daily diet. Is it over-hyped ? No, it is extremely important for a healthy you. But, do you know what role beta-carotene plays in our body?
- The human body converts beta carotene into vitamin A, which helps support the growth of cells and regulate immune system functions. (beta carotene is a precursor of vitamin A).
- Vitamin A is essential for healthy mucus membranes, heart and eye health.
- Beta-carotene, like all carotenoids is an antioxidant that reduces inflammation. It also prevents skin damage and helps maintain healthy, smooth skin.
Beta-carotene in RA DEFENSE strengthens the immune system along with contributing to eye and heart health and keeps skin radiant.
We have now given you an effective option to keep inflammation at bay with our health supplement RA DEFENSE. Your skin will always tell a story – either of vitality or inflammation within you. Why not be in the pink of health then ? We can help you glow inside out.
All our supplements are prescribed after a detailed consultation with our clients/patients. We have your best interests in mind.
(RA DEFENSE Is Your Defense Against Inflammation)