If you have good and healthy skin, you find friends complementing you on your glowing skin and asking you about the secret recipe to it. You feel nice, happy, and energetic, and your skin, hair, and nails glow even brighter with confidence. When you don’t have great skin, either you ignore it or you work at improving it because you know the negative impact it has on you, your confidence, your mood, relationships, and sometimes even your efficiency.
But getting that healthy glow does not come after following just one step. Most patients come to me and ask for the secret to glowing skin as if there’s a bulb in them that I can turn on. Like I said before, your outside, i.e. your skin and how it looks, affects your insides, your mood, and your health. And what you put inside—your nutrition—shows on the outside.
So before we move ahead, let’s first talk about how a healthy, beautiful skin should look and feel.
1) Even skin tone: Your skin should have a consistent color no matter what your complexion is. It does not matter if you are fair, dusky, or dark; the evenness of skin tone is what makes you look attractive. Little shadows are natural to Indian skin tone. But for it to look attractive, the color graduation has to be seamless, blending with the rest of your facial skin color.
2) Well hydrated: You know skin has enough moisture when it feels supple to the touch. Another way of knowing whether your skin is well hydrated is when your skin bounces back as you press and release it. You know then that the lipid barrier is well preserved, causing minimal transepidermal water loss.
3) Smooth texture: Healthy skin looks smooth and feels smooth. If you look closely in the mirror, you will notice a uniform layout of your pores, and tiny peaks around your hair follicles (yes, our face does have a very fine layer of hair, almost invisible to the naked eye). The pores are small, tight, and feel smooth to touch.
4) Reflects light: Your skin is neither too dry or chapped nor too oily. The pores are closed. This makes the light that hits your face travel back in a straight line instead of scattering it, so that a person looking at you sees your skin shine and glow.
5) Normal sensations: When your skin is healthy, you will not feel any irregular sensations like stretching, burning, or itching.